Friday, March 24, 2006

Jack Hargreaves

A face from my 1970's childhood - Jack Hargreaves. Ah, and there's the pipe (can you imagine that nowadays - a fuckin pipe man!!!). He used to present this programme for kids about 'country matters', and he'd puff away on his pipe in his potting shed, occasionally ruminating about owl pellets or whatever. The show's budget must've run to all of £20 a quarter (although Jack would've translated this into shillings!)

I remember his monumental pauses, tapping his pipe... the grandad we never had. If you've ever listened to JJ Cale sing, you'll know what I mean when I say that Jack was his TV presenter equivalent. To be savoured...

3 Comments:

Blogger Gerry Bunt said...

Couldn't you just have gone with it this once Mr Dave - just for me. This is Jack Hargreaves' tribute, not that fella from 'How'. As Jack would have said - "The flight of the Swift is an amazing thing to... behold." Jack was good and pure - not like that Fred Dineage, or whatever his name was. I am surprised you do not want to give him his due. I wonder what happened to the pipe?

4:02 AM  
Blogger Gerry Bunt said...

Wee Davy has his pipe, and keeps a small amount of plastic explosives in it - 'clickerty click' (trans. 'just in case').

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kind reflections on my stepfather. You might like to know that such words on the web are passed on to Paul Peacock who's expecting to complete a biography of JH in June this year.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home